NEWS & EVENTS
Pitch the DAMM Idea: Calling for Innovative Manufacturers
The Michigan Defense Center (MDC) in partnership with SAE Government Technologies and in collaboration with the US Army Ground Vehicle Systems Center (GVSC) is conducting a pitch competition [Pitch the DAMM (Defense Advanced Manufacturing for Michigan) Idea] for the nation’s premier dual-use advanced manufacturing technology solutions. Applicants may submit a white paper description of their proposed solution per the competition rules below for a chance to be one of three companies who will be invited to pitch their solutions live to a group of judges and event attendees during the Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium (GVSETS). One of those three companies will be selected as the overall competition winner and will receive an opportunity to print their concept leveraging the expertise and state-of-the-art equipment made available by SAE Government Technologies and the US Army.
The state-of-the-art equipment intended for this competition is described as an Additive Friction Stir Deposition (AFSD) which is a solid-state deposition occurring in a room temperature and open-air environment. The process is described as a metal bar-stock is forced downwards, rotational friction heats and plasticizes the material, downforce causes metal to flow out beneath the tool and bond to the substrate (or previous layer) below. The print envelope is not to exceed 3ft x 3ft x 3ft and the print material is to be Aluminum Alloy 6061.
1. Only one (1) application per entity will be considered. “Entity” may include private industry firms, universities, non-profit organizations, or individuals.
2. The submitting entity must be a Michigan-based entity or teamed with a Michigan-based entity for this competition.
3. Submissions must not exceed four (4) pages: Instructions, Entity Information, and White Paper.
4. White Paper submissions should be saved as Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents with the following file naming convention: PitchDAMMIdea-WP-InsertCompanyNameHere
5. White Paper submissions should be uploaded to this website no later than July 22, 2022 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time.
6. White Paper submissions received after July 22, 2022 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time will not be considered.
7. All White Paper submissions are considered final.
8. Entities should not submit proprietary information. All White Paper submissions may be subject to public release.
9. Non-compliant White Paper submissions to items 1-8 above will not be considered.
White Paper Selection Process:
1. A team of subject matter experts will assess all compliant White Paper submissions and select three (3) entities to present, i.e., pitch, at GVSETS.
2. The three (3) selected entities will be notified on or around August 5, 2022. Non-advancing entities will also be notified.
3. The three (3) selected entities are required to pitch their Pitch Day Presentation submissions live to a panel of competition judges and event attendees. Non-attendance will result in competition disqualification.
4. There will be no cost for the three (3) selected entities to attend GVSETS during the pitch and award portions of the conference.
Ready to Apply?
Step 1: Download instructions and whitepaper template:
Step 2: Once completed, click the link below to apply and upload your whitepaper: