NEWS & EVENTS
LIFT Hypersonics Challenge (2 of 2)
Wednesday May 26: Q&A Session will:
- Review the basic challenge summary and proposal template
- Answer any procedural (non-technical) questions
- Answer any previously submitted technical questions.
As a reminder, the Hypersonics Challenge is a call for project proposals on three specific topics dealing with the materials and manufacture of hypersonic vehicles. One proposal will be selected on each of the following topics:
- Topic 1: Seeks to develop modeling and simulation and integrated computational materials engineering (ICME) tools to improve understanding of material processing, resulting materials structure and properties, and appropriate selection of materials for given hypersonics applications. Primary materials of interest include high temperature composites, additively manufactured metals, and coatings.
- Topic 2: Advanced manufacturing methods including, but not limited to, in-situ sensing and non-destructive inspection (NDI) techniques to ensure reliable and repeatable manufacturing of hypersonic components to ensure successful operation.
- Topic 3: Seeks alternative production methods for high-temperature composites, and their feedstock materials, relevant to hypersonic vehicle aeroshell glide body, leading edge, control surface, and nose tip components that increase yield, throughput, reliability, and affordability compared to traditional labor-intensive and subtractive billet-to-part manufacturing