NEWS & EVENTS
LIFT Off Webinar Presented by TWI: Innovations in Friction Stir Welding
The benefits of friction stir welding (FSW), invented at TWI in 1991, have long been recognised in the fabrication of aluminium, magnesium and copper. These proven benefits; high weld strength, excellent fatigue resistance, good toughness and low distortion, have also been shown to be possible when friction stir welding steel but limitations on the longevity and reliability of the appropriate tooling for FSW of steel have so far prevented its industrial adoption.
Element Six, working in conjunction with TWI, have now developed a new tool material for FSW of steel which promises to break this impasse. This webinar will:
- Provide details of Element Six’s new tools;
- Present data on the longevity and reliability of the tools;
- Discuss the benefits of FSW in steel;
- Outline potential applications for the process;
- Provide an opportunity to question the developers.