Melt processing refers to manufacturing processes involving molten metal. Casting is one very well-known example of many that are being re-examined and transformed by new technologies and lightweight metals.
Why Melt Processing?
- Reduce the weight of cast parts
- Improve corrosion resistance
- Allow new uses for lightweight materials
- Increase design flexibility
- Reduce production costs
- Gain performance at high temperatures
- Use less energy
Diran Apelian, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Alan Luo, The Ohio State University
Full Pillar Roadmaps
For the full roadmap, visit the Pillar Roadmaps page in the member’s only section