A key challenge for the application of lightweight metals to manufactured goods is joining them – to other lightweight metals, traditional steel alloys, or non-metallic materials.
Why Joining and Assembly?
- Key to mixing different materials into a design
- Flexibility in designing to a performance target
- Better integration of different systems
- Control distortion of thing panels
- Reduce costs
- Reduce corrosion
- Allow new uses for lightweight metals
- Optimal weight reduction
Jerry Gould, EWI
Full Pillar Roadmaps
For the full roadmap, visit the Pillar Roadmaps page in the member’s only section